The M249 SAW is one of the Weapons available in Squad. The M249 SAW is an American version of the Belgian FN Minimi. The M249 SAW is mainly used by the United States Army (US Army) as the standard LMG since 1984.
General Information[edit | edit source]
The M249 SAW is a gas-operated and air-cooled light machine gun (LMG). It is designed by the Belgian company FN Herstal in 1976. The M249 SAW incorporates a quick-change barrel system, bipod, and a telescopic stock. The gun mainly uses an ammunition belt and sometimes, STANAG magazines as well. Unlike the .50 cal HMG, this weapon can't overheat. The M249 SAW uses 5.56x45mm NATO cartridges. There is currently 6 variants of the M249 SAW.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The M249 SAW magazine holds 200 rounds.
- Every 4th round of the M249 SAW is a tracer round.
- Can be fired on only automatic.
- The M249 SAW fires at a rate of 800 rounds per minute; 140 more rounds than the Russian RPK-74M.
- The M249 SAW is only used by one faction; the US Army. It is issued to the automatic rifleman class of the US Army.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Shooting the weapon while lying on the ground reduces the recoil to an amount, it can be easily used fully automatic.
- Shoot the weapon in controlled bursts makes it more easier to handle.
Additional Information[edit | edit source]
- The bullet drop mirrors the characteristics of the Russian LMG RPK-74M.
- In present game state there is no bipod, this is coming in later updates.
- If you go prone, your aim is increased.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The SAW abbreviation stands for "Squad Automatic Weapon". An unofficial meaning for the abbreviation SAW is "Squad Assault Weapon". Today, the M249 SAW is later renamed the M249 LMG (LMG stands for light machine gun).