Not to be confused by its parent, the AK-74.
The AK-74M is one of the Weapons available in Squad. The AK-74M is adopted as the standard service rifle of Russian Ground Forces (RGF) since 1991. The AK-74M is a modern variant of the AK-74 rifle. It functions in Squad as both a carbine and assault rifle.
General Description[edit | edit source]
The AK-74M is a gas-operated and rotated bolt assault rifle. It is designed by renown Russian designer Mikhail Kalashnikov and the Izhmash factory in 1991. Originally designed to replace its parent, the AK-74, as the standard service rifle of the Soviet Army, it was later adopted by the RGF when the Soviet Army dissolved. The AK-74M is used by the RGF as well as other countries such as Azerbaijan and Cyprus.
The AK-74M has basically adopted all its main features and functions from the AK-74. However, unlike the AK-74, the AK-74M incorporates a glass-filled polyamide folding stock, dovetail side rail, a modified muzzle brake, a smooth dust cover, a new front sight basement, plastic furniture, a reinforced dust cover clamp. The AK-74M is compatible with Soviet/Russian-made underbarrel grenade launchers such as the GP-25 and its dovetail side rail allows the installment of various collimator and optic sights, including the 1P78 Kashtan and PSO-1. Like its predecessor, the AK-74, the AK-74M uses 5.45x39mm cartridges.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The AK-74M magazine holds 30 rounds.
- When the AK-74M is equipped by a squad leader, every 4th round is a tracer round.
- Can be fired on automatic or semi-automatic.
- The AK-74M is only used by one faction; the RGF. It is issued to the rifleman and grenadier classes of the RGF.
- Available with 1P78 Kashtan optical sight or with 1P63 Obzor collimator sight.
- The collimator sight gives rifleman and supplementary combat roles, allowing for quicker target acquisition in close quarters combat.
Additional Information[edit | edit source]
The AK-74M has much less bullet drop when compared to it's American counterpart, the M4A1 carbine. This is due to its smaller caliber.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The abbreviation AK from AK-74M stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova (Автомат Калашникова) which means in English from Russian, "Kalashnikov automatic rifle". 74 stands for the year the AK-74M's parent, the AK-74, was designed, which is 1974. The M in AK-74M means Модернизированный which translates from Russian to English; "Modernized" or "Improved".