The BGM-71 TOW (Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided) is an Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM)
The operator fires the missiles and controls it after firing via a wire attached to the launcher. The player can effectively steer the missile while in flight onto the target. The TOW missile is extremely effective against stationary or slow moving vehicles.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The TOW missile is available to U.S. Army , British Army and the Canadian Army as a stationary emplacement that can be placed within the build radius of a Forward Operating Base.
- The operator can press the Q button to change the zoom level.
- Once the operator has acquired a target, there is a slight delay when the missile is fired. Once the missile has been fired, the operator must keep the reticle on the target in order to guide it.
- The maximum effective range for the TOW is 1500 meters. The minimum arming distance is 40 meters.
- The TOW missile is equipped on two different US Army vehicles, the M-ATV TOW variant and the M2A3 IFV. The M-ATV TOW variant can fire a total of six missiles before needing to rearm. The TOW is mounted on top of the MRAP and thus the gunner is exposed to fire. The TOW on the M2A3 is available to the gunner and has a total of two missiles.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Hitting moving targets is difficult but not impossible. Remember that whilst you can move the reticle very quickly, the missile requires time to "catch-up" with whatever you are aiming at. Many shots at moving vehicles are missed as a result of the operator not accounting for the fact that the missile itself is already out and moving.
- The TOW missile is a very powerful anti-vehicle weapon. It will deal critical damage to most vehicles, regardless of where you hit it (although even with the TOW, you should still try and hit the weakest part of the armor to assure maximum damage).
- The TOW missile can also be used to target enemy fortifications like bunkers and HESCOs. However, due to the limited supply and high ammo cost of reaming, it is recommended that the TOW only be used to target vehicles. Never use against infantry.