General information[edit | edit source]
The BMP-1 is a Soviet amphibious tracked infantry fighting vehicle. It was the first mass-produced infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) of the Soviet Union. The Soviet military leadership saw any future wars as being conducted with nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and a new design, like the BMP, combining the properties of an armored personnel carrier (APC) and a light tank would allow infantry to operate from the relative safety of its armored, radiation-shielded interior in contaminated areas and to fight alongside it in uncontaminated areas. It would increase infantry squad mobility, provide fire support to them, and also be able to fight alongside main battle tanks.
The BMP-1 was first tested in combat in the 1973 Yom Kippur War, where it was used by Egyptian and Syrian forces. Based on lessons learned from this conflict, and early experiences in the Soviet–Afghan War, a version with improved fighting qualities was developed, called the BMP-2. By the end of the 20th century, all BMP-1s in Russian military service were upgraded to the BMP-2 standard with the 2A42 30mm cannon.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
|Main Armament||2A28 Grom||73 mm||PG-15V High Explosive Anti-Tank||24|
|9M14P Malyutka-P High Explosive Anti-Tank||4|
|Secondary Armament||PKT||7.62 mm||8x 250|
- The HEAT grenade fired by the 2A28 Grom 73mm low pressure cannon deals good damage against lightly armored vehicles, but lacks the ability to effectively engage heavier targets. It cannot win an open duel with a tank, and it's probably better if you can get the first shot off against the FV510 or M2A3.
- When it comes to dealing with infantry, you have fragmentation rounds for the main gun and a secondary coaxial PKT machine gun at your disposal.
- The 9M14P MalyutkaP ATGM is a much older missile system than the BGM-71 TOW, 9M113 Konkurs, or 9M133 Kornet. It is harder to control and does less damage than the newer options used by the modern factions. It will still deal devastating damage to lighter vehicles like M1126, BTRs, and MT-LBs. If you can hit the engine deck or the tracks of a heavier vehicle, you can still score a mobility kill quite easily.
- When dealing with enemy vehicles it's best to stick to using the ATGM as the cannon does relatively poor damage and is hard to score hits with especially due to a lack of turret stabilization and a rangefinder. The lack of stabilization also means that you can really only get reliable shots off while stationary. Any movement of the hull will cause your turret to move with it, and the recoil of the gun and ATGM can also affect your aim.
- The front armor of the BMP-1 is heavily sloped and thus represents the most protected section of the vehicle. Always face the direction of incoming fire and avoid exposing your sides or your rear.
- The BMP-1 isn't very durable compared to most other IFVs; it cannot survive a single TOW hit and will be brought down to critical health with a well-placed shot from a Heavy AT.
- Remember that IFVs like the BMP-1 can ferry infantry. If your team is in need of transport assistance, agree to transport them.
- The MEA has their BMP-1 equipped with a turret stabilizer, removing the kick on the gunner's sight when firing. This can make their BMP-1 more accurate with its shots, but all other operating aspects remain the same.
- Out of all the IFVs in the game, the BMP-1 is the only one that cannot defend itself against armor at a close range. This is due to the fact that most of its arsenal (except the coaxial PKT) cannot deal damage up close due to the required arming distance of the main gun and ATGM. Keep this in mind when using the BMP-1, as a simple flank or rush by a vehicle can render you defenseless with nothing but your coaxial machine gun for defense. It also lacks smoke launchers for the turret, but still has a smoke generator.
BMP-1 Zu-23-2 Variant[edit | edit source]
Introduced in V15, this variant of the BMP-1 forgoes a turret and instead mounts a ZU-23-2 anti-aircraft gun in its place, turning the vehicle into a rudimentary SPAAG. It functions very similarly to the ZU-23-2 variant of the MT-LB. The only things to remember about this variant are that you have had all your heavy firepower removed (so avoid engaging enemy heavy vehicles), and that your gunner is now very exposed. This variant is designed to provide basic mobile air defense and light fire support.
Vehicle info sheet[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]