The BRDM-2 APC is one of the fire-support vehicles available in Squad. It is available only to the Insurgent, Militia factions and Russian Ground Forces.
Variants[edit | edit source]
BRDM-2 Scout Car[edit | edit source]
BRDM-2 Spandrel[edit | edit source]
- The BRDM-2 Spandrel variant was added to Squad in update A13. The name "Spandrel" is derived from the NATO reporting name for the missile that it carries, which was called the AT-5 Spandrel, or the 9M113 'Konkurs'.
- The variant is equipped with a roof-mounted launcher that contains five 9M113 'Konkurs' anti-tank guided missiles designed to destroy enemy vehicles. These missiles can be fired in rapid succession or one at a time, dealing a devastating amount of damage against enemy armor up to a maximum range of 1500 meters.
- The five missiles in the launcher are the only armament the vehicle has, and it must be rearmed at a repair station after all the tubes have been emptied.
- The vehicle is available to the Russian Ground Forces, Insurgent, and Militia factions in order to boost their anti-vehicle capabilities. There is no in-game difference between Militia/Insurgent Spandrels and the ones used by the Russian Ground Forces.
The primary strength of this variant is its combination of mobility and firepower. Most of the other vehicles that carry ATGMs are either much slower, larger (far easier to spot), or less maneuverable. The only other vehicle that has similar mobility, and carries missiles is the M-ATV TOW variant. Even then, the M-ATV TOW can fire only one missile at a time, and has to reload after every shot. This vehicle allows a team to deploy powerful anti-tank capability much faster and much cheaper than any other option currently available in-game. It is the counterpart of the American M-ATV TOW.
General Information[edit | edit source]
The BRDM-2 is a four-wheel Soviet Russian amphibious armored patrol and scout car. It was designed by V. K. Rubtsov in 1962 and adopted by the Soviet Army in the same year as the standard armored patrol car for their military forces. The BRDM-2's military service ended in 1991 when the Soviet Army dissolved, and the Soviet Army's successor, the RGF, adopted the BRDM-2's modern variant, the BRDM-2M in the same year. The BRDM-2, like all of the Soviet Union's vehicles, was exported to many Communist-aligned countries. Many variants were created out of the BRDM-2, such as the Polish BRDM-2M-96 and the Ukrainian BRDM-2D.
The BRDM-2 was adopted as the standard armored patrol car of the Soviet Army from late 1962 to 1991, replacing its predecessor the BRDM-1. The Soviet Army's successor, the Russian Ground Forces (RGF), later used the BRDM-2's modern variant, the BRDM-2M, as the standard multi-purpose fully amphibious armored patrol car in 1991. Like all Soviet equipment, the BRDM-2 was also sold to many Arab and African countries. It is currently used by 38 armies. The BRDM-2 enjoyed popularity on the export market because it was cheap, easy to operate and reliable. These factors also make it extremely popular with Insurgents and Irregular Militia forces. It is unknown if the vehicles amphibious abilities will become useful in later updates to Squad if large bodies of water are added.
The BRDM-2 weighs 7 tonnes (7.7 short tons; 6.9 long tons), is 5.75 m (18 ft 10 in) long, 2.37 m (7 ft 9 in) wide, and 2.31 m (7 ft 7 in) tall. The BRDM-2 can hold a crew of four, but usually three (the driver, commander, and the gunner; other is the co-driver). The vehicle has welded steel armor, which is designed to withstand gunfire, a turret with a KPVT 14.5mm heavy machine gun that has a 5x magnification periscope for the commander, and improved amphibious capabilities. It can reach 60 kph (37.28 mph) in 14 seconds and can reach up to a top speed of 108 kph (67.11 mph).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The BRDM-2 is used by both rebel factions: the Insurgents and the Irregular Militia, and the upgraded version is used by the RGF. Its armour protects it from all forms of small arms fire and grenades, and it's KPVT 14.5mm heavy machine gun gives it the same firepower as the BTR-80 whilst being considerably smaller. The BRDM-2 is also the second fastest vehicle in Squad, which can prove an advantage in mobility and ambushing.
- The BRDM-2 holds a maximum of 3 players; a driver, a gunner, and a commander who operates a 5x zoom periscope. The Spandrel variant has the same layout.
- The BRDM-2's armor will hold out against light infantry weapons, but the armor is not strong enough to last long against HMGs or any other heavy weapons equipped by heavier vehicles.
- The BRDM-2's KPVT 14.5 mm machine gun can easily mow down entire squads of infantry and can destroy lighter vehicles such as Technical's, MRAPs, Transport and Logistics Trucks quickly. Whilst the KPVT is technically capable of destroying BTR's, M1126 and MT-LB's, these vehicles have stronger armor than the BRDM-2 and will destroy it in a straight up duel (The Insurgent MT-LB is an exception to this as its PKT machine gun cannot harm the BRDM) Every other variant of the aforementioned vehicles will probably outlast a BRDM.
- The BRDM-2's cannon comes equipped with the KPVT 14.5mm HMG and a coaxial 7.62mm PKT machine gun designed for use against infantry targets. The gunner also operates the vehicles smoke grenade launchers which, when fired, create a smoke screen around the front of the vehicle shrouding it from view. The Spandrel variant has no secondary armament and no smoke launchers.
- The BRDM-2 has high speed and maneuverability making it an effective hit-and-run choice or good for scouting for hostile vehicles, especially with a dedicated periscope position.
- Do not underestimate the usefulness of a having a dedicated vehicle commander. Filling that third seat means acting as another set of eyes, coordinating with the rest of the team, and making decisions on when and where to bring your fire support, freeing up the gunner to concentrate solely on engaging targets.
Media[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- BRDM stands for Boyevaya Razvedyvatelnaya Dozornaya Mashina (Боевая Разведывательная Дозорная Машина) meaning from Russian to English, "Combat Reconnaissance/Patrol Vehicle". 2 is the model number.
- The BRDM received a new engine sound with the V12 update