Statistics[edit | edit source]
General Information[edit | edit source]
The BRDM-2 is a four-wheel Soviet Russian amphibious armored patrol and scout car. It was designed by V. K. Rubtsov in 1962 and adopted by the Soviet Army in the same year as the standard armored patrol car for their military forces. The BRDM-2's military service ended in 1991 when the Soviet Army dissolved, and the Soviet Army's successor, the RGF, adopted the BRDM-2's modern variant, the BRDM-2M in the same year. The BRDM-2, like all of the Soviet Union's vehicles, was exported to many Communist-aligned countries. Many variants were created out of the BRDM-2, such as the Polish BRDM-2M-96 and the Ukrainian BRDM-2D.
The BRDM-2 was adopted as the standard armored patrol car of the Soviet Army from late 1962 to 1991, replacing its predecessor, the BRDM-1. The Soviet Army's successor, the Russian Ground Forces (RGF), later used the BRDM-2's modern variant, the BRDM-2M, as the standard multi-purpose fully amphibious armored patrol car in 1991. Like all Soviet equipment, the BRDM-2 was also sold to many Arab and African countries. It is currently used by 38 armies. The BRDM-2 enjoyed popularity on the export market because it was cheap, easy to operate and reliable. These factors also make it extremely popular with Insurgents and Irregular Militia forces. It is unknown if the vehicles amphibious abilities will become useful in later updates to Squad if large bodies of water are added.
The BRDM-2 weighs 7 tonnes (7.7 short tons; 6.9 long tons), is 5.75 m (18 ft 10 in) long, 2.37 m (7 ft 9 in) wide, and 2.31 m (7 ft 7 in) tall. The BRDM-2 can hold a crew of four, but usually three (the driver, commander, and the gunner; other is the co-driver). The vehicle has welded steel armor, which is designed to withstand gunfire, a turret with a KPVT 14.5mm heavy machine gun that has a 5x magnification periscope for the commander, and improved amphibious capabilities. It can reach 60 kph (37.28 mph) in 14 seconds and can reach up to a top speed of 108 kph (67.11 mph).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The BRDM-2 is used by both rebel factions: the Insurgents and the Irregular Militia. Due to its armor, the BRDM-2 is protected from all forms of small arms fire and grenades, and its KPVT 14.5mm heavy machine gun gives it the same firepower as the BTR-80 whilst being considerably smaller. The BRDM-2 is also the second fastest vehicle in Squad, which can prove an advantage in mobility and ambushing.
- The BRDM-2 holds a maximum of 3 players in 3 different positions. A driver, a gunner, and a commander position who operates the 5x zoom periscope.
- The BRDM-2's respawn time is 5 minutes.
- The BRDM-2's ticket value is 12.
- The BRDM-2's armor will hold out against infantry weapons and frag grenades, but the armor is not strong enough to last long against HMGs, HEAT rounds from LAWs or RPGS, or the Anti tank grenade wielded by the insurgent "Raider" class. 30mm cannons will also make short work of it.
- The BRDM-2's KPVT 14.5 mm machine gun can easily mow down entire squads of infantry and can destroy lighter vehicles such as Technical's, HMMWV's, Transport and Logistics Trucks, and Motorcycles relatively quickly. Whilst the KPVT is capable of destroying BTR's, Stryker's and MT-LB's, these vehicles have stronger armor than the BRDM-2 and will destroy it in a straight up duel (The Insurgent MT-LB is an exception to this as its PKT machine gun cannot harm the BRDM) Every other variant of the aforementioned vehicles will probably outlast a BRDM.
- As of V10, the BRDM-2's gunner can switch between the KPVT 14.5 mm HMG, and a coaxial 7.62 PKT machine gun designed for use against infantry targets. The gunner also operates the vehicles smoke grenade launchers which, when fired, create a smoke screen around the front of the vehicle shrouding it from view.
- The BRDM-2 has high speed and maneuverability making it an effective hit-and-run choice or good for scouting for hostile vehicles, especially with a dedicated periscope position.
Media[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- BRDM stands for Boyevaya Razvedyvatelnaya Dozornaya Mashina (Боевая Разведывательная Дозорная Машина) meaning from Russian to English, "Combat Reconnaissance/Patrol Vehicle". 2 is the model number.