The BTR-80 APC is one of the Fire Support Vehicles available in Squad. The BTR-80 was adopted as the standard armored personnel carrier (APC) of the Soviet Army in 1986 and served until 1991, when the Soviet Army dissolved. The Soviet Army's successor, the Russian Ground Forces (RGF), kept the BTR-80 as the standard APC and ICV until 2013, when it was replaced by its modern variant, the BTR-82A.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
General Information[edit | edit source]
The BTR-80 is an 8 wheel APC or infantry carrier. It was designed by the Soviet Ministry of Automobile and Agricultural Machinery in 1984. The BTR-80 was adopted by the Soviet Army two years later as their standard APC, replacing the BTR-70, and remained in service until 1991, when the Soviet Army dissolved. The Soviet Army's successor, the RGF,continued using the BTR-80 as the standard APC and ICV. The BTR-80 remained in service until 2013, when it got replaced by a more modern variant, the BTR-82A. All BTR-80s that were in service in the RGF were later upgraded to that of the BTR-82A configuration and the new variant was named the BTR-82AM. The BTR-80 is still used by many countries and non-state organizations, mainly due to their connections to the Soviet Union in their past.
The BTR-80 weighs 13.6 tonnes (15.0 tons), is 7.7 m (25.3 ft) long, 2.9 m (9.5 ft) wide, and 2.41 m (7.9 ft) high. The BTR-80 can hold 1 driver, 1 gunner, and 11 passengers. The vehicle has a single 260-hp, V-8 turbocharged, water-cooled, diesel engine unlike the twin gasoline engines that was incorporated in the BTR-70, as well as having the rear of the vehicle raised up, the rearward-sloping engine compartment squared off, and the removal of the roof chamfers. The BTR-80 has the 14.5mm KPVT HMG as its armament. The BTR-80 can reach a top speed of 90 km/h (55.9 mph).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The BTR-80 can hold up to 11 players: 1 driver, 1 gunner, 1 commander and 8 passengers.
- The BTR-80s respawn timer is 10 minutes.
- The ticket value of the BTR-80 is 10.
- The BTR-80 is fitted with the powerful 14.5mm KPVT heavy machine gun that is capable of moderate penetration of certain cover and against lightly-armored vehicles using AP rounds. It is also equipped with coaxial PKT machine gun, loaded with a single belt of 2000 rounds, that is ideal for engaging enemy infantry outside of harder cover.
- The Squad community refer the BTR-80 as the BTR, which is the beginning part of the name "BTR-80".
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
- New players need to remember that the BTR-80 is NOT a tank. It is not an IFV either. It is a relatively thin-skinned infantry carrier that has somewhat more protection than just rolling into battle in a truck. The KPVT is a decent machine gun, you can seriously damage and destroy technicals, logistics/transport trucks, BRDMs, and M-ATVs with relative ease. Just remember that your own armour, though it appears stronger, is not that much better. Your American counterpart, the M1126, has a machine gun that is basically the same as yours, except he's got better armour than you.
- If you get hung up on a wall another vehicle can push you off, or an infantryman under the wheels can add traction.
- As a gunner, be mindful of your ammo, since the gun's magazine is relatively small (50 rounds); fire in short bursts and aim carefully. It takes approximately 12 seconds to reload the main gun.
- It is also very important as of update A9, to make sure that the BTR-80 you are firing on is not on your team. The Irregular Militia and the RGF both use it now.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- BTR stands for Russian Bronetransporter (бронетранспортер) which means "Armored Personnel Carrier" in English. The number 80 represents the decade the BTR-80 is designed, which is 1986.
- The BTR-80's ticket value previously was 30 tickets but decreased by 10 tickets in the Alpha v9.4 update.
- * - The Irregular Militia have their own camouflage paint-jobs for their vehicle.