The BTR-82A is an Armored Personnel Carrier (APC)/Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) added to squad during the Alpha V9 update. In-game it is used solely by the Russian Ground Forces (RGF). It sacrifices armor protection for speed, making it faster but also considerably weaker than other IFVs in-game.
Gameplay Characteristics[edit | edit source]
General Information[edit | edit source]
The BTR-82A is a modern 8-wheeled APC. It was designed by the Arzamas Machinery Plant in 2009 and adopted into the RGF in 2013 as their standard APC and infantry carrier vehicle (ICV). The BTR-82A is still primarily used by the RGF. Although both the Belarusian and Bangladeshi governments expressed interest in acquiring some of their own, only the Republic of Kazakhstan actually purchased any. BTR-82A production ceased in 2015, replaced by an upgrade program designed to modernise all BTR-80s to a standard similar to the 82A. BTR-80s that have been upgraded in this fashion are designated as BTR-802AMs.
The BTR-82A weighs over 16 metric tons, is 24.87 ft (7.58 m) long, 9.79 ft (2.985 m) wide, and 8.94 ft (2.725 m) tall. The BTR-82A can be driven by 3 crew members and can hold up to 7 passengers. The BTR-82A has better armor than the BTR-80, featuring Improved laminate armor along the bottom of the hull, spall liners along the interior walls and ceiling, a ballistic mat on the floor of each troop compartment and possibly under the troop seats, likely with the same effect as the spall liner. The commander's and gunner's sights were replaced with more capable systems. The gunner's searchlight was replaced with a PL-1, and later an LP-1 infrared spectrum pulse laser searchlight. The vehicle has a more powerful 300-hp and fuel efficient engine, increasing its cruising range from at around 600-km to at least 700-km. The BTR-82A is fitted with a 2A72 cannon as its primary armament, and a coaxial PKT machine-gun as secondary armament. The vehicle can reach a maximum speed of 49.71 mph (80 km/h).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The BTR-82A is only used by one faction, the RGF. The first thing you need to know about the BTR-82A is that it's basically an APC with a 30 mm cannon slapped on top of it. You can't really take on the more powerful IFVs, and even most of the other APCs outclass you in armor protection. Treat it like what it is, a fast troop transport with an autocannon, that will protect it from small arms fire and not much else. Be ready to retreat in an instant if you start to take too much heat.
- The vehicle is crewed by 3 men, Driver, Gunner, and Commander, and can carry 10 passengers in addition to the crew.
- The driver gets access to a smoke generator operated by clicking and holding LMB. This generates a smoke-screen using the vehicle's exhaust, and it trails behind the vehicle accordingly. It also makes a pretty good escape if you generate a cloud and reverse into it.
- The gunner gets access to the 2A72 30mm cannon, firing either armor-piercing (AP) rounds or high explosive (HE) ones. The former does serious damage to lightly armored or unarmored targets but comes up short against anything heavier. HE is for dealing with infantry. You can kill infantry with the AP rounds, but it requires a direct hit on their bodies, and is generally considered a waste of ammunition. You get two "bursts" of smoke grenades for personal defense. To fire the smoke grenades, press the 3 key to switch off of the main gun. Press LMB to fire off the smoke. It can be quite easy to accidentally discharge both your grenade charges at once if you click in a panicked fashion. There is a slight delay between firing and the grenade detonation, so don't assume it isn't working right away. Press 1 to switch back to the main gun. You also get access to a PKT coaxial machine gun for dealing with infantry threats.
- The commander gets access to a periscope, but unlike some other vehicles, there is no hunter-killer system. Do not underestimate the value of a good commander. You can coordinate with the rest of the team and act as another set of eyes. It lets the gunner stick to targeting.
- You are an APC. If you see a group of friendlies who need transport, make the offer and take the initiative.
- The BTR-82A is commonly shortened to 30 millimetre, 30 mil, and 30 mike, sometimes with BTR added on to the end. This is in reference to its 30mm armament, which distinguishes it from regular BTRs.
- The BTR-82A is quite fragile compared to most other IFVs and should avoid getting too close to enemy positions, instead it should use it's very effective HE rounds to kill entrenched infantry from a distance.
- Due to it being a wheeled vehicle the BTR-82A is very fast on roads and paved surfaces allowing it to get into favourable positions early in the game and disengage quickly from hostiles.
MATCHUPS WITH VEHICLES OF COMPARABLE ROLE ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- M2A3: Almost always going to end up with BTR-82A being destroyed, provided the M2A3's crew can asses the situation quick enough to start firing back before taking critical damage. In most cases, the M2A3's crew is going to actively hunt the BTR-82A aggressively because they know that have a massive advantage in armor protection. The best thing a BTR-82 can do in this situation is retreat.
- FV510: You have slightly more chances for the BTR-82A to emerge victorious due to the fact that the FV510 lacks turret and commanders' visor stabilization. The FV510 also has a much slower firing cannon, no ATGMs, and a critical weakness in the armor on the rear exit hatch. Its armor at this point is abysmal compared to the rest of the vehicle, and skilled crews should work together to get all their shots into this area. Even so, the FV510 has great protection everywhere else, and you will probably be destroyed in any lengthened engagement.
- M1126 and FV432: Also not great. Both the M1126 and FV432 are armed with .50 cal M2 Brownings, which are more than capable of destroying the BTR-82. The FV432 gunner is in an open-top turret, which is a weakness when compared to the M1126 CROWS system. The FV432 gunner is going to have a lot more trouble engaging the BTR-82 at long range and you can theoretically shoot him out of the turret. Armor wise, the M1126 and FV432 both have much better armor than the BTR-82, meaning that once again, you can fail to destroy your target even if you get your shots of first.
Media[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- BTR stands for Bronetransporter (бронетранспортер) which in English from Russian is "Armored Personnel Carrier". The number 82 strangely does not represent the year the BTR-82A or its parent, the BTR-82, was created, since both of these vehicles have been created in the 21st century. A stands for "Automatic," meaning automatic cannon as the main armament of the vehicle. IFV stands for Infantry Fighting Vehicle.
- The BTR-82A's ticket value was previously 40 but was decreased by 28 tickets in the Alpha v9.4 update.
- BTR-82As 30mm 2A72 automatic cannon was considered the strongest weapon in the game at the time of its release in version Alpha 9. The HE ammunition of the gun had an unhealthy radius of splash damage, and could damage any vehicle present in the game at the time (mainly M1126 as its direct counterpart at the time).
- Said 30mm automatic cannon ammunition was quickly nerfed into a sorry state in version Alpha 9.1. The gun itself also was changed to only fire in bursts instead of realistic and previously available full-auto mode.