The BTR-82A IFV is a Fire Support vehicle added to Squad during update A9. In 2013, the BTR-82A was adopted as the standard armored personnel carrier (APC) and infantry carrier vehicle (ICV) of the Russian Ground Forces (RGF), alongside with the BTR-82AM APC (regular BTR-80 APC that are upgraded and modernized to the BTR-82A's level). The BTR-82A is the latest modern variant of the BTR-80 APC. The vehicles combination of high mobility and speed, strong armor, and a high-powered cannon make it one of the deadliest vehicles in Squad, capable of withstanding and returning the harshest punishment any other faction can dish out.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
General Information[edit | edit source]
The BTR-82A is the latest 8-wheel APC and ICV modern variant of the BTR-80 APC. It was designed by the Arzamas Machinery Plant in 2009 and then later adopted into the RGF in 2013 as the standard armored personnel carrier (APC) and infantry carrier vehicle (ICV), alongside with the BTR-82AM APC. The BTR-82A is mostly used by the RGF but offers were made by the Belarusian and Bangladeshi governments to add them to their own arsenals. BTR-82A production ceased in 2015 and was replaced with the BTR-82AM modernization program which overhauls and upgrades existing BTR-80 APCs.
The BTR-82A weighs over 16 metric tons, is 24.87 ft (7.58 m) long, 9.79 ft (2.985 m) wide, and 8.94 ft (2.725 m) tall. The BTR-82A can be driven by 3 crew members and can hold up to 7 passengers. The BTR-82A has more better armor than the BTR-80 in that it has improved laminate armor along the bottom of the hull as well as spall liners along the interior walls and ceiling and a ballistic mat is placed on the floor in each side of the troop compartment and possibly under the troop seats, likely with the same effect as the spall liner. The commander's and gunner's sights were replaced with more capable systems. The gunner's searchlight was replaced with a PL-1, and later an LP-1 infrared spectrum pulse laser searchlight. The vehicle has a more powerful 300-hp and fuel efficient engine, increasing its cruising range from at least 600-km to at least 700-km. The BTR-82A is fitted with the powerful 30mm 2A72 cannon as its armament. This vehicle can reach up to a speed of 49.71 mph (80 km/h).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The BTR-82A is only used by one faction, the RGF. The BTR-82A is one of the most powerful vehicles in Squad, which is why squads should take care to make sure the vehicle is employed effectively with proper infantry support as its loss can be a crippling blow to a Russian advance.
- The BTR-82A is fitted with the destructive 2A72 30mm cannon, which can fire armor-piercing rounds or high explosive ones, making it capable of shredding vehicles and dealing with infantry as it so chooses. The high fire rate means it can saturate an area fairly quickly.
- Although the cannon's armour piercing rounds can instantly kill enemy players with just one shot, regardless of wherever the shot hits, it should only be used against enemy players as last resort as attempting to snipe enemy players with AP is generally considered a waste of ammunition as 30mm armour pierching rounds are designed to be used against enemy armor and not against enemy infantry. Players using the cannon should be reminded to carefully fire in short bursts and to use the high-explosive rounds against infantry.
- The BTR-82A is referred to by the community as the 30mm, which is named after the destructive 2A72 30mm cannon it has.
- The 30mm cannon has excellent range. When given a good line of sight and a competent gunner, it can easily destroy vehicles at great distances.
- Armed with 2 charges of 40mm smoke grenades. Remember they exist, they could save your life.
Media[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- BTR stands for Bronetransporter (бронетранспортер) which in English from Russian is "Armored Personnel Carrier". The number 82 strangely does not represent the year the BTR-82A or its parent, the BTR-82, was created, since both of these vehicles have been created in the 21st century. A stands for "Automatic" meaning automatic cannon as the main armament of the vehicle. IFV stands for Infantry Fighting Vehicle.
- The BTR-82A's ticket value was previously 40 but was decreased by 28 tickets in the Alpha v9.4 update.