Communication is one of the key gameplay elements in the game Squad. Using a microphone is crucial to the gameplay of Squad. Winning is only possible through the use of fast and efficient radio communication. The game's HUD intentionally displays hardly any information. It is crucial that you rely on your teammates and communication to find your way in the game.
Voice Communication[edit | edit source]
The following types of voice communication exist in Squad at the moment:
Channels:[edit | edit source]
- Commander channel (Channel colour light grey - G ) - Only squadleaders have access to this channel. It is used by holding down the G key.
- Squad channel (Channel colour green - B) - Only squadmembers (not lonewolves) can use this channel. Only squadmates can hear what is said in squadchat. it is used by holding down the B key.
- Local channel (Channel colour light blue - V ) - Team mates within close proximity can hear what is said in local channel. The further away you are from the person talking, the quieter it gets. Local channel is used by holding down the V key. Enemy cannot hear you.
The voice indicator tells you who is currently speaking by showing a speaker icon with their name next to it, the colour indicates on which channel they're speaking.
On public servers make sure to use these built-in communication channels instead of other third party tools, so all members in the team can benefit from your communication.
The included in-game voice communication system is based on Mumble.
Text Chat[edit | edit source]
Beside voice communication you can also communicate via in-game text chat. The following chat channels exist:
- Squad chat (L): text can only be seen by your squad members. This is probably seldomly used, normally only by players without a microphone. But you can also use it give important information to your squad members. You can also use this when everybody is in a firefight and wouldn't hear you over the radio or when there is already too much talking going on over radio.
- Team chat (K): text can only be seen by your team members. This is used for important information concerning the entire team, e.g. location of an enemy FOB.
- All players chat (J): text can be seen by all players. This is used to communicate with all players on the game server. This is the only means of communication to the opposite team.
- Administrator broadcast: in-game text chat written by server administrators/moderators to all players. This will appear on the top of the screen centered and be titled "BROADCAST".
After typing your chat text, hit ↵ Enter to send it. To cancel your chat text, press Esc twice.
The colour of the chat text indicates by which player the text was written. Squad members' text appears in green, team members in blue, opposite team members in red.
The chat text also shows to whom it was send, i.e. [Squad], [Team], or [All].
The chat formating is as following: [to whom] by whom: text
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Fireteams were added with V12
- Each team got their own color for easier identification
- The chat can also be used as a console if you erase all the text before starting to type in the commands.