A medic at work on the battlefield. Because the viewing player is also a medic, you can also see a health icon in this image.
Health management[edit | edit source]
Health management is an important part of Squad, and the Medic plays a vital role in this. For every player he revives, tickets are spared for his team. Every wounded player brought back to full health is able to function longer. A dead player has to wait until he can respawn, and then he has to travel to get back to his squad in order to bring it back to its full fighting strength. Having medics to revive and heal friendlies can make the difference between winning and losing a fight or match.
The health condition of a player can go through the following states:
- Healthy – unwounded;
- Wounded – reduced health due to falling or weapon damage. When you are wounded, your vision deteriorates (screen darkens). Only medics can heal your wounds using the medical kit. Medics can also heal themselves. Massive damage can immediately lead to the incapacitated state or death. When health is low enough, stamina regeneration stops.
- Bleeding – when you have less than 75% of health and take more than 10% damage, you will start bleeding. While bleeding, your vision progressively deteriorates (screen darkens) and you hear your heart beat. You lose health at -0.3 HP per second. Bleeding out eventually leads to the incapacitated state. Bleeding is stopped by the application of a field dressing by yourself, others (non-medics), or a medic.
- Incapacitated – either through damage or bleeding out, your player reached the incapacitated state. When going into this state, your player screams out in agony, which is audible to other players, including the opposing team. You are unable to move, and your screen is very dark and fixed into one direction; however, you can still use radio or local voice comms to direct a nearby teammate to your location. Any teammate can use a field dressing to revive you. However, medics can revive you 25% faster. You have the choice to wait until you are revived or give up and respawn. To give up, either select "GIVE UP" on the prompt in the middle of the screen, or go to the spawn screen and select "GIVE UP" at the bottom of the map. If you remain in the incapacitated state, you will die eventually. Time spent in the incapacitated state will reduce the respawn timer. After 5 minutes (300 seconds, which are visible only to you) your character bleeds out and dies. If you are revived, you have very low health and need to be healed by a medic.
- Dead – dying or "giving up" costs one ticket. You have to respawn to get back into the game. When you die, your player lets out a death scream, which is audible to other players, including the opposing team.
Medic actions[edit | edit source]
Medics can perform the following functions (bandaging can also be performed by all players):
- Heal wounds of other players by equipping the medical kit, aiming it at the wounded player, and clicking and holding LMB until the player is fully healed. You will hear a Velcro sound effect during healing. While being healed, the patient should perform overwatch or otherwise observe for enemy contact. It's recommended to heal in safe and protected locations and while crouching or prone.
|Medics see this icon over wounded teammates' bodies. The inner symbol shows the teammate needs healing, the outer circle indicates the teammate's current health level. As the medic heals his teammate, the circle fills up and the color fades from yellow to green.|
|The color indicates the teammate's health level—green is good, and red is bad. When full health is restored, this icon disappears.|
|While a medic is healing you, a health icon appears in the middle of your screen. The color indicates your current health level.|
|The green color appears when healing is completed. When the icon disappears, healing is finished. You are back to full health.|
- Heal your own wounds by equipping the medical kit, and clicking and holding RMB until you are fully healed.
- Bandage other bleeding players by equipping your field dressing, aiming it at your teammate, and clicking and holding LMB. You will hear a Velcro sound effect during bandaging. All players can also apply bandages to themselves with the RMB.
|The medic sees an icon with a drop of blood on players that are either bleeding or incapacitated. The icon flashes between the drop symbol and the circle health bar that shows the current health level. The medic needs to bandage his teammate until the wounded symbol appears, then continue healing with the medical kit until full health is restored.|
|This is the circle health bar. Both the circle and the drop of blood symbol fade in and out.|
- Revive players from the incapacitated state:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As of A15.4, a players incapacitated timer is affected by the damage taken upon going Incap. IE If a player is shot in the head they will have a reduced time that they can be revived. This timer persists, so a player that gets incapacitated multiple times will have a lower incap time. The time resets when a player spawns, and regenerates to Max when the player is alive.
- A medic is 50% faster at applying a field dressing than other players.
- All players can revive incapacitated players by applying a field dressing to them.
- A short touch with First Aid Kit after revival makes moving to cover easier by restarting stamina regeneration.
- Taking your time healing each teammate to full health instead of healing all at the same time will prove much more helpful.