The M1A2 is a main battle tank in Squad. Adopted by the United States Army (U.S. Army) in 1980, the M1 became the standard main battle tank for the US Army and Marine Corps. It first saw action in the Persian Gulf War of 1991, and has been continually upgraded in order to continue to serve to the present day. The M1 has three variants, the M1, the M1A1, and the M1A2. Only the M1A2 is featured in squad.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
General information[edit | edit source]
The M1 entered U.S. service in 1980 as the standard main battle tank, ultimately replacing the M60 tank. The M1A2 has been used in every war the U.S. has been involved in since 1980 and is also exported to allied nations of the United States including Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Australia, and Iraq.
As one of the heaviest main battle tanks in the world, the M1A1 weighs 63 short tons (57 t). The M1A2 is 32.04 ft (9.77 m; including main gun length) long, 12 ft (3.66 m) wide, and 8 ft (2.44 m) tall. 4 crew members operate the M1A2 : the commander/machine gunner, gunner, loader, and the driver. Designed for modern armored ground warfare, the M1 is highly mobile, well armed, and heavily armored. Notable features include a powerful AGT-1500 multifuel turbine engine, sophisticated composite armor, and separate ammunition storage in a blow-out compartment for crew safety. The M1A2 can reach up to a speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) (governed) on a road and 30 mph (48 km/h) off-road.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The M1 in-game is the M1A2 variant.
- The M1A2 is equipped with a 120mm smoothbore cannon that can fire either armor-piercing Sabot (21) or High Explosive Anti-Tank (21) rounds, making it one of the most formidable vehicles on the battlefield when it comes to raw firepower.
- In addition to the AP Sabot and HEAT rounds, the M1A2 gunner can fire a coaxial M240 machine gun and two six-barreled smoke grenade launchers for concealment.
- The gunnery that is currently modeled for the M1A2 does not include modern fire control systems yet, so the gunner's auxiliary sights to allow for manual adjustments at the range are currently the only way to operate the main gun.
- The M1A2 has a vehicle commander and loader's seat, both with their own usable machine guns. The vehicle commander has an M2A1 Browning .50 cal heavy machine gun mounted on a remote weapons system allowing for full 360-degree traversal and zoom levels of 5x and 12x. The loader's seat (while not required to actually load the cannon) is an extra seat on the turret with its own M240 machine gun. The loader's machine gun however, is not remotely operated meaning the user is exposed while using the weapon. Due to the weapon being used as such, it can also be hard to hear any nearby local voice chat from nearby friendlies including your fellow crew due to the sound of the engine and sound of battle.
- The driver's set comes equipped with a smoke generator. To activate the smoke generator, hold down the left mouse button.
- The M1A2 has its engine located at the back and its ammunition storage on the rear left. The image shown in the section shows the M2A3 (left) and the M1A2 (right) with the locations of its components.
- Hitting the ammunition storage, depending on the damage, may potentially destroy the tank entirely through ammo cook-off.
- Hitting the engine can hinder the M1A2's mobility. Damaging the engine reduces the vehicle's acceleration and top speed, and destroying it will render the vehicle immobile.
Media[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, it was stated that both the M1A1 and M1A2 would be added, this was however changed at a later stage and it instead ended up becoming the M1A2.