General Information[edit | edit source]
The NSV Machine Gun is a Russian gas-operated HMG. The NSV was designed by Russian designers G. I. Nikitin, Y. S. Sokolov, and V. I. Volkov in 1960 to replace the outdated SGM and DShK HMG as the standard HMG of the Soviet Army. The NSV lost against the PK HMG, which was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov, who was also the inventor of the infamous AK-47, AKM, and the RPK, mainly due to it being more expensive and not productive enough. The NSV was improved over the following years and the Soviet Army later found interest in the NSV again. It was adopted by the Soviet Army in 1971, replacing the DShK HMG, and remained in service until 1991. When the Soviet Army dissolved in 1991, the Russian Ground Forces (RGF) adopted the NSV as its standard HMG. However, the manufacturing license of the NSV ended up in the hands of Kazakhstan, ending production of NSV HMGs in the Russian Federation, thus forcing the RGF to adopt a new and more accurate HMG, the Kord, in 1998. The NSV HMG was exported to numerous countries in Europe and Asia, mainly ones that were connected to the Soviet Union.
The NSV's design incorporates a glass-filled polyamide buttstock, iron sights, long stroke gas piston, and a 1.1m (43.3 in.) barrel. The NSV is designed to be light so strong infantrymen can carry the weapon without any assistance. The NSV is belt-fed with each belt holding normally 50 rounds, but holds 100 rounds in-game. The NSV uses the Russian 12.7x108mm cartridge.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- The NSV is available to the RGF and the Irregular Militia.
- Three vehicles in Squad are armed with the NSV. The MT-LBM 6M and the MT-LB NSVT variant come equipped with the NSVT as their primary weapon. The commander of the T-72 comes equipped with an NSVT.
- An NSV ammunition belt can hold 100 rounds. The MT-LBM and MT-LB both have 5 cartridges for a total of 500 rounds, whereas the T-72 commander has 2 cartridges for a total of 200 rounds.
- The NSV is an emplacement for the RGF as either a tripod or protected under a bunker. Two of each type can be placed per FOB for a cost of 200 and 400 construction points respectively. Both versions include an optic.
- The NSV can pivot thirty-eight degrees left and right from the point it was placed. It has a five-degree depression and a five-degree elevation.
- The effective range of the NSV is 1.5 kilometers.
Tip[edit | edit source]
- Firepower of the 12.7x108mm cartridge should not be underestimated, as those bullets penetrate all current in-game armor and dispose of groups of enemy personnel with relative ease of pulling the trigger and holding it for a couple of seconds.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The abbreviation NSV is the first letters of the NSV's designers' last names: G. I. Nikitin, Y. S. Sokolov, and V. I. Volkov. The NSV in Russian is "HCB/Никитина-Соколова-Волкова".