WIKI_TASK: We need nice and new showcase screenshots and videos below (purpose: promotion of Squad).
Squad is a Multiplayer only First Person Shooter that is being developed by Offworld Industries. It is inspired by the Battlefield 2 total conversion mod “Project Reality”. Squad is currently an Early Access title that was launched on December 15, 2015, on Steam.
About[edit | edit source]
Squad is a Tactical Military First Person Shooter in development on Unreal Engine 4 that bridges the gap between serious MilSim titles, and casual shooters. It will feature Combined Arms warfare on maps up to 16km², which will include land vehicles such as IFV, APC, Tanks, ground attack aircrafts and helicopters, alongside infantry.
Squad success relies heavily on teamwork and communication; featuring built in VoIP, with “Local” chat for players with a certain proximity, “Squad” chat that is focused on player within your squad, and “Command Net” chat, that is open to only squad leaders. The players dictate how the scenarios unfold with base-building and interactive environments, intuitive squad command and management tools and large-scale warfare where strategy and leadership are just as important as a quick trigger finger.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
<work in progress>
Major Development Milestones[edit | edit source]
Below is a summary of the major milestones of Squad's development. On the right you see the timeline for Squad's past, current, and future release phases (last updated December 2015).
- March 2014: Development of Squad started.
- October 2014: Squad was publicly announced for the first time (in PR forums, in Squad forums).
- February 2015: The studio Offworld Industries LLC was founded.
- April 2015: Squad was successfully greenlit on Steam's Greenlight (Greenlight page, Greenlight trailer).
- May 27 to June 27, 2015: Successful Kickstarter campaign (Kickstarter page, Kickstarter trailer).
- July 18, 2015: Closed Pre-Alpha launch weekend.
- September 26, 2015: Closed Alpha launch.
- December 15, 2015: Steam Early Access launch (Steam store page, Early Access launch treaser).
- August 7, 2016: Release of version 7, which includes the first vehicles in-game (announcement, release trailer).
- November 1, 2016: Release of version 8 (release notes, release trailer).
- March 19, 2017: Release of version 9 (release notes, release trailer).
- After the Early Access closes, a beta phase will start. The beta will focus on stability and optimization, the game will be almost feature complete.
- Retail release is estimated for some time in 2017.