Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
Wiki Task ID023: Redesign Main page[edit source]
Status: new[edit source]
Task Description[edit source]
Aim: Optimize access to the (new and old) content on the wiki.
The main page has an amazing design (thanks, Chuc!). However, since November 2016, when we implemented this design, a lot of new content was added or modified on the wiki. Also, we have not yet implemented a proper navigation concept for the wiki (see wiki task ID019). With all this in mind, there is no way around not redesigning the main page.
However, before we do this, we have to update all wiki pages to consistency and remove redundancy. This also means that pretty much all tasks from milestones 5 to 7 need to be implemented first.
This task will not include the Squad-like color scheme and CSS style - this will not be touched. We only change the layout, structure and content of the main page.
See task sheet for overview of all tasks.
- 2018-06-07: Created this task description here to be able to collect ideas until we actually get started with implementing this task.
- Collect ideas on the new design
- Create new design mock-ups
- Decide on best design (maybe, including community voting)
- Implement new design
Step 1: Gathering ideas[edit source]
- Feature article: Allocate space on the main page to feature a regularly changing "feature article". This way we can higlight important articles, plus give the start page some variety so regular visiters are encouraged to come back more often.
- Navigation sidebar (on the far left side): This should also be changed during the redesign of the main page and be in line with the main contents of the main page and the new navigation concept (see wiki task ID019).
- Optimize for link previews in Discord/Slack: When you post a link to the wiki in Discord or Slack, you get a link preview (in Slack, this is called unfurling). Often, for many wiki pages these previews are meaningless. Sadly, also for the main page. Hence, this should be fixed for the main page, if possible also for most/all wiki pages too.
- Fix scrollbars: If you are viewing the main page with smaller screen resolution, ugly scrollbars appear for each hub box on the main page. Let's fix it.
- Squad community news feed: Do we want to add community news to the wiki? As far as I know, there is no hub for all Squad related news (except Reddit). Doing it on the wiki would allow everyone to contribute to it (with certain rules). If yes, then we need a hub box for the community news on the main page.
add british forces[edit source]
please add the british forces into faction section on this article. - DanielHolland, 13:42, 2 May 2018
- We will add the British Forces to the main page once v11 is officially released. Usgu (talk) 20:29, 2 May 2018 (UTC)
unnecessary grey scrollbars[edit source]
Can somebody please check layout of the page asap? there are grey scrollbars below, which would be good if removed...
- This is a known problem for screens with some resolutions. This will be fixed task sheet ID023. Usgu (talk) 20:29, 2 May 2018 (UTC)
Update images[edit source]
Hey Usgu, can you please change at least these 2 images? - DanielNL
Update map preview images on main Squad page to represent newer maps: - replace OP First Light image/link with Belaya, and Yehorivka with Mestia for example.
I'd also like to see Gorodok in there.
- I planned a restructuring of the map preview on main page along those lines (and a few other changes). Right now, there are more important things to do, so it will take some time until it happens, but it will come. Usgu (talk) 11:06, 18 February 2018 (UTC)
- Rgr that. - Daniel, February 20, 2018
Usgu do you mind mentioning what the "more important things" currently are? - Daniel, March 2, 2018
- Sure. I am broadly following the milestones in the Squad Wiki roadmap, and more specifically the tasks on the task sheet - at the top position stands the v10 update; the redesign of the main page stands on 23rd position right now. Usgu (talk) 14:13, 4 March 2018 (UTC)
Updated Mestia[edit source]
Mestia is updated, but still needs the invasion modes to be added.
- Many probably don't know (here is all you need to know). Those who know probably can't be bothered. Fortunately, we still some champs who know it and do to. Thanks, Daniel. Usgu (talk) 20:07, 21 November 2017 (UTC)
Squad Wiki Format Changed?[edit source]
Josephua, 13th Nov 2017: What happened to the Squad Wiki format? It was organized at first and now it is a jumbled mess! Can someone report to the administrators or game developers to fix this?
- Please define "Squad Wiki Format". What format? Examples? What needs fixing? BTW, I am one of the admins. Usgu (talk) 20:02, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
Cant hear my squad radio when playing squad!!!??[edit source]
hi there, im having trouble hearing the squad radio when playing the game. Iv changed my audio setting to my preference and but to default just to see if it was that and that still didn't work!? i really have no idea why it's like this and could do with a solution as communication is a key feature with this game. If you could help me out hit me up on my steam account with a message @ Elwolverino. thank you